Connecticut Name Change Forms – How to Change Your Name in CT

Updated December 07, 2022

Use an attorney at ContractsCounsel to change your name!

A Connecticut name change form is used when an adult wishes to change their own name or the name of a minor. The petitioner will need to submit a written request which informs the court of the proposed new name as well as the reason for the change. If the court approves the applicant’s request, the individual may begin to use the new name and will be allowed to update their personal accounts and identification documents to reflect the change.

If the purpose of the request is to revert back to a former name after a divorce or to assume a spouse’s last name after marriage, there is no need to file the standard Connecticut name change forms. The individual may instead use their divorce decree or marriage license as proof that their name has changed.

Laws § 45a-99

Table of Contents

Name Change After Marriage

If you would like to change your last name after marriage, you can simply begin to use the new name as soon as you are legally married. You should contact the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the county where your marriage took place in order to obtain a certified copy of your marriage license ($20 processing fee). The certified copy will serve as evidence that your name has changed. This certificate can be used to update your social security card, driver’s license, bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

Name Change After Divorce

Connecticut law allows you to restore your birth name or former name by making a request at the time of your divorce proceedings. The court, upon your request, may also restore your birth name or former name after your divorce decree has been issued. Use the decree as proof of your name change when updating your driver’s license, social security card, personal accounts, and other records which contain the name held during marriage.

Adult Name Change (No Marriage or Divorce)

Applying for a change of name in Connecticut is accomplished through the filing of a Petition for Change of Name. The petition can be submitted to both the probate court or the superior court. However, the instructions below apply to the filing procedures of the probate court. Note that all filings must be submitted to the court located in your county of residence.

Step 1 – Petition for Change of Name

Begin by downloading the Petition for Change of Name (Adult). This document will be used to provide the court with your personal information, the proposed new name, your spouse’s personal and contact information (if applicable), and the reason for the change of name.

Step 2 – Affidavit Regarding Change of Name

Next, you will need to fill out the Affidavit Re Change of Name (Adult). This form will be used to notify the court of your criminal history as well as supply them with additional personal information. Fill out the form completely except for the signature field. You will need to provide your signature in front of a notary public prior to filing with the probate court OR have an official of the court (e.g., clerk, judge) witness the signing of the document when it is filed.

Step 3 – Prepare for Submission

Before filing with the probate court, ensure that the following documents are included in your filings:

  • Petition for Change of Name (Adult)
  • Affidavit Re Change of Name (Adult)
  • Certified copy of your long-form birth certificate
  • Two (2) forms of identification, including at least one (1) form of photo ID

Step 4 – Submit to Probate Court

Take your filings to the probate court in your county and submit them to a clerk. A $250 filing fee will be required upon submission. This fee can be paid by cash, credit card, money order, or check. Checks should be made payable to the “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.”

If you cannot afford the filing fee, you can ask to be exempt by submitting a Request/Order Waiver of Fees – Petitioner to a court clerk.

Step 5 – Attend Hearing

After your filings have been submitted, the court shall schedule a time, date, and location for your hearing. Notice of such hearing will be sent to you and to all other interested parties. The court will then send your personal information to the Department of Public Safety in order to have your background checked on the Connecticut sex offender registry.

Attend your hearing and the court will determine whether or not your change of name request is valid. If approved, you will be permitted to assume the new name.

Driver’s License

You will need to notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your change of name and request a new social security card before you can change the name on your driver’s license.

Request a new social security card by submitting the following documents to the SSA:

All of the above documents must be the originals or certified copies. Find out what documents are accepted by the SSA by reviewing their list of accepted documents.

Wait forty-eight (48) hours after submitting your Application for a Social Security Card. Next, go to a local DMV or AAA office location and provide them with the following:

A $30 fee will be required upon submission of your documents. An additional $5 may be required if updating your driver’s license at an AAA office location. Your new driver’s license will be delivered to you by mail.

Voter Registration

Changing the name on your voter registration can be accomplished by submitting a Voter Registration Form to a town clerk. Be sure to indicate the purpose of the form by selecting the “Name Change” option available in section 1(a) of the form. Alternatively, you can update your voter registration information online via the Secretary of State website. You will need to have either a current and valid driver’s license, a learner’s permit, or a non-driver photo identification card issued by the Connecticut DMV in order to use the online registration webpage.

Minor (Child) Name Change

A request to change a child’s name in Connecticut can be made if the petitioner (person submitting request) is the child’s parent or guardian. If you are neither the child’s parent or guardian, contact the probate court in your county to see if your relationship to the child qualifies as permissible for a change of name request. Furthermore, the request must be filed with the probate court or superior court located in the child’s county of residence.

If you are changing a child’s name as part of an adoption agreement or declaration of an intention to adopt, you will not have to go through the standard filing process (§ 45a-736). Instead, make a request to change the child’s name when filing the adoption paperwork.

Note: The instructions below are directed towards the probate court filing procedures. Those filing with the superior court should contact the court in advance to see if additional steps are required.

Step 1 – Petition for Change of Name

The Petition for Change of Name (Minor) will be used to notify the court of the reason for the change of name, the name(s) of the petitioner(s), the proposed new name, and other information relevant to the change of name request. Complete the form and attach any additional sheets if more space is needed.

Step 2 – Affidavit Regarding Change of Name

After completing the Petition for Change of Name (Minor), you will need to fill out the Affidavit Re Change of Name (Minor). This document will be used to inform the court of the child’s criminal history and to ensure the court that the change of name request is not being made to defraud, mislead, or deceive any person or government agency. Leave the “Subscriber” signature field empty. You will need to sign the document in front of a notary public prior to filing. Alternatively, you may sign before a clerk or other court official.

Step 3 – Prepare for Submission 

Have the following documents prepared and ready for submission:

  • Petition for Change of Name (Minor)
  • Affidavit Re Change of Name (Minor)
  • Certified copy of the child’s long-form birth certificate, unless the court will accept other documents which prove the child’s birth name
  • Two (2) forms of identification, including at least one (1) photo ID
  • If available, other documents proving the identity of the child

Step 4 – File with the Probate Court

Bring your filings to the probate court located in the district where the child resides. Submit your documents to a court clerk and pay the $250 filing fee. You may pay by credit card, cash, check, or money order. Checks should be made out to the “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.” If you are unable to afford the fee for reasons the court deems valid, you may request an exemption by filing a Request/Order Waiver of Fees – Petitioner.

Step 5 – Prepare for Hearing

A clerk will inform you of the time, date, and location of your court hearing. The court will also notify the parents/guardian of the minor (if you are neither the child’s parent or guardian) as well as the minor (if the minor is twelve (12) years of age or older).

Depending on the minor’s criminal history mentioned on the Affidavit Re Change of Name, the court may conduct a criminal background check on the minor and/or search the Department of Public Safety’s sex offender registry to determine if the child is a registered sex offender.

Step 6 – Attend Hearing

Go to the probate court on the date and time that was indicated to you by the clerk. The purpose of the hearing will be for the judge to review the change of name request and to listen to other persons who may have objections to the request (if any). If the judge determines that the change of name request is valid, a decree will be issued which will serve as legal proof that the child’s name has been changed.