Mississippi Name Change Forms – How to Change Your Name in MS

Updated January 23, 2023

A Mississippi name change form is a document that allows a Mississippi resident to legally change their name. If the subject of the name change is twenty-one (21) years old or younger, the petition must be made by one (1) or both of their parents and both parents must give their signed consent. The most common reasons for changing a person’s name are when adopting a spouse’s surname during the marriage or reverting to a previous surname when going through a divorce. In these situations, the name change request can be made as a part of marriage or divorce proceedings. Once a person’s name has been changed, they will need to present a proof of name change (either a court order, marriage license, or divorce decree) in order to update their name as recorded on their different licenses, accounts, and registrations.

Laws – §93-17-1

Table of Contents

Name Change After Marriage

It is possible for individuals to adopt either their spouse’s surname or to conjoin their last name with that of their spouse when getting married in Mississippi. In order for this change to take place, they will need to indicate the name change on their marriage license application. Both subjects must be at least twenty-one (21) years old to apply for a marriage license. If under twenty-one (21), parental consent must be obtained. Once the marriage license has been filed with the couple’s local Clerk of Court, they will receive a certified copy of their marriage license which, in turn, can be used to update their various registrations and accounts.

Name Change After Divorce

If an individual wishes to change their surname while going through a divorce, they will need to make a request to the court handling the case. The name change will be included in the divorce decree when the divorce is finalized. With this document, the subject can prove their legal name change in order to change the name on their current IDs and records.

Adult Name Change (No Marriage or Divorce)

In order for an adult residing in Mississippi to change their name, they must fulfill the following criteria:

  • Be over twenty-one years (21) old
  • Be a resident of the county in which they are filing their petition
  • Not be a convicted felon
  • Not be filing for fraudulent purposes
  • Not be infringing on another person’s rights

Requests for legal name changes are filed with the Chancery Court in which the petitioner resides and, as long as the request doesn’t conflict with public interests, will usually be accepted.

Step 1 – Fill-in Petition for Change of Name

To make a request to have their name legally changed, an individual must first obtain and fill out the Petition for Change of Name Form, leaving the signature field blank. Unlike most other states, Mississippi does not have a standardized document for this petition. Therefore, residents can either download the generic version that we have provided, or they will need to obtain one from their local Chancery Court. This form will be used to provide the petitioner’s personal information, the reason for requesting a name change, and their desired name.

Step 2 – Notarize Petition for Change of Name

The petition must then be notarized by having the document signed in the presence of a Notary Public. Most banks will have a registered notary on hand who can witness a document. Alternatively, a document can be notarized at a UPS store or by a private notary. Before signing the petition, the notary will ask for sufficient identification from the petitioner in order to verify their identity. Once the petitioner has identified themselves and signed the document, the notary will apply their signature and notary seal to the petition.

Step 3 – Fill-in Civil Cover Sheet

In addition to the petition, the petitioner must also obtain and fill out the Mississippi Civil Cover Sheet and attach it to the front of their package of documents when they file their petition. On this form, the petitioner must indicate their current name and address, their attorney (if any), and that their case is in regards to a name change.

Step 4 – Gather Documents

In order to file a petition for name change, an individual must have the following documents assembled:

  • Civil Cover Sheet
  • Notarized Petition for Change of Name
  • Driver’s license/photo ID
  • Proof of address (utility bill, bank statement, government check, etc.)

The individual will also need to prepare a check, cash, or money order for the filing fee, the price of which varies from one court to another.

Step 5 – File Petition for Change of Name at Local Chancery Court

Once all of the required documents are prepared, the petitioner will take the package to the Chancery Court Clerk of the county in which they reside. After giving the documents to the clerk, the petitioner should request that the petition be filed and that they are given at least one (1) or two (2) copies of it. The individual should immediately be given a date for their name change court hearing.

Note: The chancery court may require the petitioner to provide an order or decree for the judge to sign upon their decision. If so, petitioners may utilize the Name Change Order Form (for use after divorce), Name Change Order Form (for general use), or request one from their local chancery court.  

Step 6 – Pay Filing Fee

Next, the subject must pay a filing fee with a certified check, cash, or money order. The filing fee will vary depending on the subject’s Chancery Court, however, it generally will not exceed $100.

Step 7 – Attend Hearing (if required)

Finally, the petitioner will attend their court hearing at the appointed date and time. In some instances, the court may send the individual authorization of the name change without requiring that the individual present themselves in court. If there is no objection or cause for refusal, the court will give the petitioner an Order to Change Name which certifies that their name has been legally changed. At least one (1) or two (2) copies of the order should be requested by the petitioner. This court order will then serve as proof of name change when the subject goes about updating their various accounts and registrations.

Driver’s License

In order to update their driver’s license to reflect a recent change of name, Mississippi residents will need to go their local driver’s license office with a proof of name change such as a court order, divorce decree, or marriage license. In addition to a proof of name change, the individual must also bring the following:

  • Current driver’s license and vehicle title
  • Birth certificate/U.S. passport
  • Utility bill, bank statement
  • Payment ($11 for driver’s license, $9 for title certificate) cash/debit/credit card

Prices and protocols may vary from one office to another, so it would be pertinent for residents to contact their local office for clarification. In most cases, a new picture will be taken and a new license prepared on site or issued by mail at a later date. Please note, that an individual’s name must be updated on their Social Security card in advance of their driver’s license.

Voter Registration

In order to be able to vote after having their name changed, a Mississippi resident will need to update the name on their voter registration. To accomplish this, they must obtain the Mississippi Voter Registration Form and fill it out, indicating that they have changed their name. Once the form has been completed, the individual must file it with their local county circuit clerk by mail or in person.

Minor (Child) Name Change

The name of any Mississippi resident who is under twenty-one (21) years old can be changed for any legal reason, as long as it not being altered for fraudulent purposes or in violation of another person’s rights. A Petition for Change of Name of Minor must be filed by the minor’s legal parents or custodian in the county court in which the child resides and requires the notarized consent from both parents (unless either or both parents are deceased).

Step 1 – Fill-in Petition for Change of Name of Minor Form

There is no standardized name change petition document in Mississippi, so a petitioner should either download a generic Petition for Change of Name of Minor Form (like this one) or they can go to their local Chancery Court to obtain one.

Step 2 – Notarize Petition for Change of Name

The signatures of all signing parties on the petition must be witnessed and notarized by a Notary Public. Registered notaries can be found at any bank or by consulting the telephone directory. Each signatory must present identification and then sign the document in front of the notary, who will, in turn, provide their signature and notary seal.

Step 3 – Obtain Parental Consent

Any of the minor’s parents who are not petitioning on their child’s behalf must give their formal permission by filling out a Consent for Change of Name of Minor Form. The petitioner will have to inform any legal parent or custodian of the minor about the name change and obtain their written consent.

Step 4 – Fill-in Civil Cover Sheet

The petitioner will also need to obtain and fill out the first page of the Mississippi Civil Cover Sheet to attach to the front of their petition. They will indicate that the case is in reference to a name change beneath the “Probate” column at the bottom of page one (1). This document is used by the court as a quick reference to pertinent information in order to identify each case. If the petitioner has an attorney, the attorney should fill out this document. In the event that child support is an issue, the Child Support Information Sheet on page six (6) should also be filled out. If the petitioner is unsure of how to fill out the form, they can complete it with the assistance of the Chancery Clerk.

Step 5 – Gather Documents

The petitioner should have all of the following documents prepared and assembled before proceeding to their county court:

  • Civil Cover Sheet
  • Notarized Petition for Change of Name of Minor
  • Consent for Change of Name Form
  • Driver’s license/photo ID of petitioner(s)
  • Proof of address (utility bill, bank statement, government check, etc.)

Step 6 – File Petition for Change of Name at Local Chancery Court

Once assembled, the petitioner must file all of the required documents with the Chancery Court Clerk of the jurisdiction in which the minor resides. The petitioner should request one (1) or two (2) certified copies of their petition to keep for their records.

Step 7 – Pay Filing Fee

The cost of filing will differ from county to county and it must be paid in case, by certified check, or by money order. The petitioner should verify the filing fee prior to filing their petition.

Step 8 – Attend Hearing (if required)

If the petitioner is needed to attend the court hearing for the name change, they will be notified. Otherwise, they will be sent a certified document confirming the name change by mail. As long as there is no objection from the public or justifiable reason for refusal, the name change will be approved and a court order issued. This court order confirms that the minor’s name has been legally changed.