New Hampshire Name Change Forms – How to Change Your Name in NH

Updated December 03, 2021

A New Hampshire name change form is provided by the probate division of the State’s circuit court and allows citizens to apply for a legal name change. The main form is the Petition, which can be filled out and submitted to the court by an adult wishing to change their own name, or the name of their child (persons under the age of eighteen). Most name changes are granted as long as the judge deems the name appropriate, considers the interests of the public, and, in the case of a minor name change, the interests of the child. Those individuals intent on changing their name after getting married or divorced are not required to file name change forms and complete the process during their divorce/marriage proceedings.

Laws§ 547:3-i

Table of Contents

Name Change After Marriage

In the State of New Hampshire, you are permitted to take your spouse’s last name or hyphenate both your last names once you get married. To make your name change legal, inscribe your desired new name on your marriage certificate, a document which can be obtained in your county’s courthouse. Your new name is official once you have acquired your marriage license after your wedding ceremony has taken place. Use your marriage license to update your name with the SSA, the DMV, and any other important agencies.

Name Change After Divorce

If you’re getting a divorce and took your spouse’s last name, you have the right to revert to your maiden (or former) name after the divorce is finalized. If you intend to change your name after your divorce, convey your intent to do so in your divorce complaint. The court will take note of your statement and will include it in the judgement, also known as a divorce decree. After the divorce is final, you still have a few steps to take to make it a completely legal name change; notify the SSA, the DMV, and any other state and federal agencies that require notice of your name change.

Adult Name Change (No Marriage or Divorce)

An adult (person over eighteen years of age) has the right to petition for a legal change of name through their county’s probate court. All name change petitions will be reviewed by a judge, however, some cases may not require the petitioner to attend a hearing at the courthouse. A person may not change their name for any of the following reasons:

  • Avoiding bankruptcy/creditors/debt payments
  • Violating a trademark
  • Fraudulent/misleading intent

Individuals who are incarcerated, on probation, on parole, or on the registered sex offender list have the right to petition for a name change. They will be required to present a compelling argument proving the necessity of the name change. Furthermore, an individual in one of the aforementioned situations must serve a copy of the petition on the department of corrections or the department of safety (depending on the situation).

Step 1 – Complete Petition

Download and complete the New Hampshire Name Change Petition. This form is standard across all NH counties. Make sure to enter all the appropriate information and to leave the form unsigned until in the presence of a notary public. Visit a notary public and sign the Petition in their presence (bring identification). Make copies of the Petition before visiting the courthouse.

Step 2 – File Petition

The Petition must be filed with the court clerk at your county’s probate court. Bring a copy of your driver’s license, birth certificate, or passport to submit with the Petition. The clerk will ask for the name change filing fee, which is $110.

Step 3 – Attend Hearing (If Applicable)

You may get a call from the courthouse saying the judge has granted your name change without a hearing. You can pick up your court order at your convenience. If a hearing is required, you will receive notice in the mail with the date and time of your hearing. Appear before the judge on the appointed date and answer any questions they may have. If the judge approves your name change, they will sign a name change court order. The name change order be used to update your identification documents and the like.

Driver’s License

It is recommended, but not required, that you update your name with the SSA before the DMV. To change your name with the SSA, submit proof of identity, proof of citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S., proof of name change, and an Application for a Social Security Card by mail or in person to your local SSA office. Notify the DMV that you are waiting for your new Social Security card to arrive in the mail, as they ask that you alert them of your new name within ten (10) days of changing it.

To update your driver’s license, visit your local DMV office in person. Submit a Record Change Request, your current driver’s license, and proof of your name change. Changing your name with the DMV is free in the State of New Hampshire. Your picture will be taken once you have submitted the proper documents and a temporary license will be given to you. Your official driver’s license will be mailed to you within a few weeks.

Voter Registration

Changing your name on the New Hampshire voter registry is the same process as registering for the first time in the State. Unfortunately, New Hampshire does not provide an online voter registration portal nor are the application forms available for download. You must visit your local elections office to obtain an application form, at which point you can fill it out with your new name and submit it to the clerk.

Minor (Child) Name Change

A parent may petition for the name change of their child (person under eighteen years of age) through their county’s probate court. Just like an adult name change, a parent may not petition for their child’s name change for fraudulent purposes, or to avoid creditors. Both parents must sign the petition or, if one parent is not taking part in the process, they must sign an Assent Form.

Step 1 – Complete Petition

Download and complete the New Hampshire Name Change Petition, making sure to select the “Minor” checkbox at the top of the form. Do not sign the form until you are in the presence of a notary public. Both parents should bring identification to show the notary before signing the Petition.

Step 2 – Complete Assent Form (If Applicable)

If you are the sole parent petitioning for the minor’s name change, download the Assent Form and have the non-petitioning parent sign it.

Step 3 – File Forms

Bring the Petition, a copy of the minor’s birth certificate, and the Assent Form (if applicable) to your county’s probate court. File all the forms with the court clerk and pay the $110 filing fee.

Step 4 – Attend Hearing (If Applicable)

Both parents will receive a Notice of Hearing in the mail or, if the judge feels a hearing would be unnecessary, the court clerk will let you know that the judge has signed a name change order. Otherwise, you, the petitioning parent, and the minor must appear before the judge on the day of the hearing at the allotted time. The judge will most likely question you, the minor, and any other person of interest in attendance. If the judge feels the name change is in the minor’s best interests, and there have been no objections, they will sign an order granting the name change of your child. This order can be used to update your child’s name with various agencies and institutions.