Oregon Name Change Forms – How to Change Your Name in OR

Updated January 23, 2023

An Oregon name change form allows residents of the State to apply for a name change, as long as the reason for the change doesn’t interfere with the law or any personal financial obligations. The main circumstances under which people change their name is after marriage (and they wish to take their spouse’s name) or after a divorce (where they wish to change it back to their name prior to marriage). These two name-changing procedures are very easy to accomplish. Should someone wish to change their name for personal, religious, or other reasons, they must go through the petition process. While this option is more time consuming, the name change procedure in Oregon remains quite straightforward in comparison to that of other states. There is no minimum requirement regarding how long one must reside in the State before requesting a name change and anyone over the age of eighteen (18) can apply. A parent or guardian may file a petition for the name change of a minor (under eighteen (18) years of age). If the child is under fourteen (14) years old, the child’s consent is not required.

Laws§ 33.410

Table of Contents

Name Change After Marriage

Under Oregon law, you have the right to either keep your name after marriage, take your spouse’s name, or combine your name with your spouse’s name. Should you wish to alter your name (take your spouse’s or combine your names), all you have to do is fill in the marriage license with your desired name. Once the marriage is finalized, the marriage certificate will be proof of your legal name change.

Name Change After Divorce

If you’re going through a divorce and wish to go back to the name held before marriage, simply put your request through to the judge who is handling the divorce proceedings. It is very rare for a judge to deny a name change request for someone getting divorced. The divorce decree completed by the judge will reflect your name change and you can go back to your original name used prior to marriage.

Adult Name Change (No Marriage or Divorce)

In the State of Oregon, one must petition for a name change in their county’s court in front of a judge. Name change requests will be denied for any of the following reasons:

  • Attempting to avoid conviction
  • Intent to commit fraud
  • Avoiding legal/financial responsibilities
  • Convicted of a sexual offense

Each county has their own name change forms, but all of them follow the same general outline and language. Most county courts will provide the necessary forms on their website; otherwise the forms can be obtained at the court house, or at an office supply store, book store or legal office (there is almost always a small fee involved).

Step 1 – Download Forms

Before completing the provided forms, make sure to read through the steps carefully as some forms must be filled out at a later date or in the presence of a notary public. Each form serves a different purpose and must be completed at a specific time in the name changing procedure. Start the process by downloading the following name change forms in Adobe PDF:

Step 2 – Complete Petition for Name Change Form 

Form 1” represents your formal request for a name change. Complete all the necessary fields, but leave the signature field blank. You are required to sign the Petition in front of a notary. (The clerk at your county’s court will most likely be able to notarize it for you when you file your forms – ‘Step 4’.)

Step 3 – Complete Declaration Supporting Petition for Name Change Form (If Applicable)

It’s important to note that not all counties use this form; check on your county’s official website or phone the court clerk to make inquiries. If your county uses the Declaration Supporting Petition Form (Form 2), fill out all the appropriate fields. This form states that the information on the Petition is true and that you understand any false information you provide will lead to perjury.

Step 4 – County Court

Visit your local county court, bringing one (1) piece of valid photo identification and all required forms (only the Petition Form (Form 1) and Declaration Form (Form 2) should have been completed so far). Pay all associated fees (fees vary county to county, but are usually between $100 – $120) and the court clerk will witness your signature on the Petition form. You will be provided a case number and hearing date. Sometimes hearing dates can be chosen by the Petitioner, but keep in mind the hearing date must be fourteen (14) days after you file the petition.

Step 5 – Complete Notice of Change of Name Hearing Form 

Enter the case number and hearing date (where applicable) on all the forms. Fill out the Notice Form (Form 3) and sign at the bottom. This form does not require notarization; it is simply written notice informing the public that you have requested a name change. Post it somewhere in the courthouse that is visible to the public (oftentimes there is a bulletin board for this exact purpose) and leave it there for fourteen (14) days. Do not proceed to the next step until the fourteen (14) days have passed. 

Step 6 – Complete Affidavit of Posting Notice of Name Change Hearing

On the day of your hearing, fill out the Affidavit of Posting Notice of Name Change Hearing Form (Form 4). This form shows that you swear to posting the notice of your upcoming hearing. Only sign the form once you are in the presence of a court clerk or notary public. This can be done right before you see the judge.

Step 7 – Complete the General Judgment of Name Change Form

Fill out the General Judgment of Name Change Form (Form 5), completing all fields that apply to you but leaving the judge’s signature and date fields blank; the judge will complete this if/when he decides to grant you the name change.

Step 8 – Appear Before Judge

Bring Forms 3, 4, and 5 with you when you see the judge. The judge will ask you questions regarding your new name choice and make sure the change is not being requested for illegal or fraudulent purposes. At this point in time, any objections to your name change can be voiced by the general public. If there are none, the judge will sign the General Judgment of Name Change Form (Form 5).

Step 9 – Complete Notice of General Judgment of Name Change Form

After your hearing, fill out the Notice of General Judgment Form (Form 6) and make copies. Post this form as you did the first Notice Form (Form 3) and wait fourteen (14) days.

Step 10 – Complete Affidavit of Posting Notice of Name Change Form

Go back to the courthouse and fill out the second Affidavit of Posting Notice of Name Change (Form 7). Just like the first form, the second Affidavit proves you posted the Notice of General Judgment Form (Form 6) somewhere in the courthouse for the public to read. Only sign the form when in the presence of a notary public. This form can then be filed with the court clerk and your name change will be made official.

Driver’s License

To update your name change on your Oregon driver’s license, visit your local DMV office. Make sure to bring documents proving your U.S. citizenship, your identity, your date of birth, your residence, and your Social Security number (DMV accepts these documents). You must also provide the marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order (General Judgment of Name Change) to show that your name was legally changed. Depending on what type of license you carry, you’ll have to download and complete the Application for Driving Privileges or ID Card or the Commercial Driver License Application. Submit the appropriate form, provide the necessary documentation, and pay the associated fees to acquire a new driver’s license with your updated name.

Voter Registration

Although some updates can be made to your voter registration online, name changes can only be completed by filling out a new Voter Registration Form. It’s important to note that the name under the ‘personal information’ section should be your new name. There is a section near the bottom of the form that you can use to enter your previously registered name. Submit the Voter Registration Form to the elections office in your county so they can update your information. Voter registration updates can be made up until the day of an election, however, your ballot may have to be issued at the elections office.

Minor (Child) Name Change

Minor name changes are complicated in the State of Oregon, and the process varies in each county; you may want to consult an attorney before proceeding. 

A parent or guardian can petition for a name change of a minor in their care providing it is in the child’s, and the public’s best interest; this is for a judge to decide. In the State of Oregon, the process for a minor name change is quite similar to an adult name change. The main difference between the two is there are more forms involved in a minor name change request. Most of these additional forms have to do with consent; consent from the minor (if applicable) and consent from the parent(s) (in situations where the application is being submitted by a guardian or only one (1) of the minor’s parents).

Step 1 – Download Appropriate Forms

The list below contains the necessary forms to request a name change of a minor name. It is recommended that you contact your county’s court clerk and ask if there are any additional county-specific forms that you will be required to fill out. Follow all the steps carefully and fill out the forms in the appropriate order as per the instructions. Do not complete all the forms at once.

(You can also download all thirteen (13) forms together using the Oregon Minor Name Change Packet.)

Step 2 – Complete Form 1 and Form 2

Regardless of whether or not you are a parent of the minor, you must be appointed Guardian Ad Litem in order to proceed with the name changing process. Download the Application for Appointment of Guardian Ad Litem (Form 1) (also referred to as the “Petition” or “Motion”) and the Order Appointing Guardian Ad Litem (Form 2). Fill out (Form 1), leaving the signature and case number fields blank. (Form 2) can be completed except for the date, the judge’s signature, and the case number.

Step 3 – Visit Courthouse

Bring (Form 1), (Form 2), and valid photo identification to your county’s courthouse. Sign (Form 1) in front of the court clerk or notary public. The clerk will let you know when judges are available to hear guardian ad litem requests. If the judge approves your request, they will sign the Order Appointing Guardian Ad Litem (Form 2).

Step 4 – Complete Form 3 and Form 4

Download the Petition for Name Change of a Minor (Form 3) and Notice of Name Change Hearing (Form 4). Complete all fields except for the case number, signature fields, and hearing date. You must appear before a court clerk or notary public and show them a piece of photo ID. Sign (Form 3) in the clerk’s/notary’s presence. Next, you will be asked to pay the appropriate filing fees (these fees range from $80 – $120 depending on what county you’re in). Once you have been assigned a case number and hearing date, enter this information into the appropriate fields on all the forms. You must post (Form 4) somewhere publicly visible in the courthouse (there is usually a bulletin board specifically for these types of forms). Most counties require that this notice be posted at least fourteen (14) days before the hearing, while others demand that the notice be up for thirty (30) days.

Step 5 – Minor’s Consent

If the minor is over the age of fourteen (14) years old but younger than eighteen (18), they must provide consent. Download the Consent to Name Change by Minor (Form 5) and have the minor inscribe their signature at the bottom in front of a notary public.

Step 6 – Parent’s Consent

There are a few stages involved in the process of obtaining a parent’s consent for the name change of their child. If you are one of the child’s parents, you must get the other parent’s consent. The only exception to this rule is if the other parent has never lived with the child and has never provided for the child financially. In this case, simply fill out the Request to Waive Notice to Parent (Form 6), sign it in front of a notary and file it with the court clerk. If you are not the parent of the child, you must obtain both parents’ consent.

Choose one of the following options to obtain the parent’s (or parents’) consent:

  • Consent Form
  • Certified Mail
    • Send copies of (Form 3) and (Form 4) by certified mail to the parent(s)
    • Parent must sign the return receipt (if parent does not sign, you must use the ‘Personal Service’ option)
    • Complete Proof of Mailing Form (Form 8)
    • Attach receipt to (Form 8)
    • File both documents with the court clerk
  • Personal Service
    • Choose a server (see requirements below)
    • Have them serve the parents copies of (Form 3) and (Form 4)
    • Server must complete the Proof of Service Form (Form 9)
    • File form with the court clerk

The requirements for an individual serving the parents are as follows:

  • They must be at least eighteen (18) years of age
  • They must reside in the state in which the papers will be served
  • They cannot be you, your child, your lawyer, or your employee

Step 7 – Complete Form 10

Download the Declaration of Posting Notice of Name Change Hearing (Form 10). This form states that you posted the Notice of Hearing (Form 4) somewhere publicly visible in the courthouse for the designated time period.

Step 8 – Complete Form 11

Download and fill out the General Judgment of Minor Name Change (Form 11) and complete all fields except for the date and judge’s signature field.

Step 9 – Download Forms 12 and 13

Download the Notice of General Judgment of Name Change (Form 12) and the Declaration of Posting Notice of General Judgment of Name Change (Form 13). Do not complete the forms until after the hearing.

Step 10 – Attend Hearing 

Once the designated time period has elapsed, go to the courthouse and bring your photo ID as well as the child’s birth certificate (or certified copy). Remove (Form 4) from the bulletin board, or location where it was posted, and take (Form 4, 10, and 11) to your hearing. If there are no objections to the minor’s name change, and the judge deems the change in the child’s best interest, the judge will sign (Form 11).

Step 11 – Complete Forms 12 and 13

Once the judge has approved the minor’s name change, you can complete (Form 12) and post it somewhere publicly visible in the courthouse. Fill out (Form 13) but make sure you sign it in front of a notary public or court clerk. This form states that you posted the Notice of General Judgment (Form 12) in the courthouse. File (Form 13) with the court clerk.

Step 12 – Certified Copies

It’s important that you ask the court clerk for certified copies of your General Judgment of Minor Name Change (Form 11). This form can be used as proof of the name change when you need to update the minor’s information with public agencies.