Utah Name Change Forms – How to Change Your Name in UT

Updated August 07, 2022

Use an attorney at ContractsCounsel to change your name!

A Utah name change form allows citizens of the State to legally change their name through the district court of the county in which they reside. Generally, name changes occur after a person gets married or after they go through a divorce. As long as the judge finds the name change to be in the public’s interest, and as long as the petitioning individual is not attempting to skirt the law, the name change order will be granted. Minor name changes, i.e., anyone under the age of eighteen (18), can only be completed if consent is provided by the minor’s natural parent(s) or guardian(s). If consent is not obtained, the petitioner must serve the parents notice of the name change. Regardless of whether the name change is for an adult or a minor, the individual must have resided in the county where the petition is filed for at least one (1) year.

Laws§ 42-1

Table of Contents

Name Change After Marriage

When you marry, you have the choice of keeping your maiden name or taking your spouse’s last name. It isn’t necessary to go through the process of filling out a petition and appearing before a judge. When you and your spouse apply for a marriage license, you can sign the document using your new name. Once the license is filed in the court’s record, you will receive a marriage certificate. The certificate acts as proof that you have legally changed your name; use it to update your name with various agencies and financial institutions.

Name Change After Divorce

Changing your name after you get divorced is a simple process that can be accomplished by stating to the judge that you intend to revert to your name prior to marriage. The judge will include an order in the divorce decree stating that you wish to revert to your maiden name. This court order serves as proof of legally changing your name and you can use it to update your identification and other documents.

Adult Name Change (No Marriage or Divorce)

Individuals wishing to legally change their name for personal reasons will have to go through the process of filing a petition with the court in the county in which they reside. As long as a person is over eighteen (18) years of age and has resided in their county for at least one (1) year, they can petition for a name change in the state of Utah. However, a person cannot file for a name change if one of the following circumstances applies to them:

  • Currently involved in a lawsuit
  • Currently on probation or parole
  • Currently registered as a sex offender or child abuse offender
  • Attempting to avoid creditors, fines, or criminal sentence
  • Attempting to commit fraud on the public
  • Attempting to change name for offensive reasons

Step 1 – Certification Regarding Offender Registries

The first step of the Utah name change process begins with you proving that you are not on the sex offender registry or child abuse offender registry. To accomplish this, download the Department of Corrections Offender Registries Certification Form, complete all the necessary information on the form, and mail it to the Offender Registration Program of the DOC (address provided below). Make sure to include a self-addressed stamped envelope so the DOC can mail the results back to you. It may be a while before you receive the results, however, you won’t be able to file a petition without them.

  • Offender Registration Program
    14717 Minuteman Drive
    Draper, UT 84020

Step 2 – Name Change Forms

Download and complete the Petition for Name Change Form, but wait to sign the form in front of a notary public. Download the Cover Sheet for Civil Actions and enter all the required information; this form helps civil cases move smoothly through the county court systems. The third form you will need for filing a name change petition is the Request for Hearing on Petition for Name Change Form. Download it and provide all the appropriate information. Make copies of all the forms.

Step 3 – File Forms

Visit your county’s district court and file all original copies of the name change forms. The court clerk will ask you to pay the filing fee of $150 and will give you a hearing date.

Step 4 – Public Notice (If Applicable)

The court will sometimes require a petitioner to send notice to a specific individual or a set of individuals. They will hand you a Notice of Hearing Form, which you must fill out, attach to a copy of the Petition, and mail to the specified individual(s).

Step 5 – Attend Hearing

Before your hearing date, download the Order on Petition for Name Change Form. Complete all the sections that apply to you, leaving the judge’s signature field and the Certificate of Service page blank. You are required to appear before the judge at the scheduled hearing time and answer any questions they might have. If the judge deems the name change fitting, they will sign the Order Form. They may ask you to send a copy of the Order Form to certain individuals. If this is the case, send out copies of the Order and sign the Certificate of Service on the second page of the Order Form. Ask the court clerk to make certified copies of the Order as well so you can update your name with all necessary agencies and institutions.

Driver’s License

Make sure to contact the Social Security Administration and update your new name with them before contacting the DMV or DPS; they may check with the SSA to make sure your records are up-to-date before issuing you a new driver’s license. Getting a new driver’s license after a name change is the same as renewing your license; once your SSA records are up-to-date, you can commence the process. Download and complete the Driver License/ID Card Application (Form DLD6a). Visit your local Utah DPS office in person and present the appropriate document proving your legal name change; i.e., marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order. You must also bring your current driver’s license, proof of identity, proof of residency, and proof of SSN. They will ask you to pay a $25 renewal fee and you will receive your new driver’s license in the mail about eight (8) weeks after the day you renew.

Voter Registration

You must update your voter registration if you’ve recently changed your name, otherwise you will be prohibited from voting in any upcoming election. Download the Utah Voter Registration Form and complete all the required fields. Mail this form to your county’s elections office (addresses provided on the second page of the registration form). Registration forms must be sent in at least thirty (30) days before election day.

Minor (Child) Name Change

Just like an adult name change, a minor name change can only be petitioned if the minor has lived in their county for at least one (1) year. All parents/legal guardians must consent to the name change and, if the minor is over ten (10) years of age, they must provide written consent as well. Minor name changes will not be granted the court finds one (1) of these circumstances applies:

  • Minor is involved in a lawsuit
  • Minor is on parole or probation
  • Minor is on the sex offender or child abuse offender registry (only applies to individuals older than ten years of age)
  • Minor/petitioner is attempting to avoid debt or criminal prosecution
  • Minor/petitioner is attempting to commit a fraudulent act
  • Name change is offensive or not in good taste
  • Name change is not in the minor’s best interest

Step 1 – Complete Initial Forms

Download the Petition for Minor’s Name Change Form, the Cover Sheet for Civil Actions, and the Request for Hearing Form. Complete all forms (leaving the signature field on the Petition blank) and make copies for your records and for any parent or guardian of the minor that you are required to serve. Find a notary public and sign the Petition in front of them (a bank with which you have a personal account may provide this service for free).

Step 2 – Obtain Consent

The minor’s legal parent(s)/guardian(s) must sign a consent form in order for a minor name change petition to go through the court. Download the Consent to Minor’s Name Change Form and obtain written consent from all parents. If written consent is not provided, the court will ask that you serve the minor’s parent/guardian with a Summons (Step 5). However, if service to the other parent is also not an option (e.g. they no longer have parental rights, or the father never acknowledged paternity), a Motion to Waive Service will be required (Step 3).

Step 3 – Waive Service Forms (If Applicable)

For petitioners who have not obtained written consent from the minor’s legal parent/guardian, and who believe service to said parents is impractical or unnecessary, they must download the following forms: Motion to Waive Service Form, Affidavit in Support of Motion to Waive Service Form, and the Order to Waive Service Form. The Motion Form simply states that you believe the court should waive the service requirement. The Affidavit Form will contain more detailed information concerning your reasoning behind waiving the service. The Order Form will be completed by the judge once they’ve come to a decision. (The Affidavit Form must be signed in front of a notary public, and the bottom section of the Order Form should remain blank.)

Step 4 – File Forms

Visit the district court in the minor’s residing county and file all the appropriate forms with the court clerk; Cover Sheet, Petition, Hearing Request, Consent Form(s) and Waive Service Forms (if applicable). You will be asked to pay the filing fee, the price of which varies between counties. Sometimes the court clerk will be able to provide you with the hearing date right after filing your petition, otherwise you will be notified of your hearing date and time by phone.

Step 5 – Serve Parent(s)/Guardian(s)

Any parent or guardian of the minor who hasn’t provided written consent must be served with a Summons. Download the Minor Name Change Summons (In-State) or Minor Name Change Summons (Out-Of-State) and complete all the required fields. Attach the Summons to a copy of the Petition and mail the documents to the minor’s parent/guardian. U.S. Mail or commercial carrier (FedEx, UPS, etc.) are both accepted forms of service. The mailing receipt can only be signed by the receiving parent/guardian and must be returned to you. Once the parent/guardian has been served, they have 21 days to respond (30 days if the parent is outside of the State of Utah). Download the Proof of Service Form (if service was successful) and attach the signed return receipt to it. File both these documents along with a copy of the Summons with the court clerk.

If service by mail is unattainable, have a sheriff or constable (from the county in which the parent resides) serve them a copy of the Summons. Provide the sheriff/constable with two (2) copies of the Summons and a copy of the Petition. After delivering the papers to the parent/guardian, the sheriff/constable will return to you the other copy of the Summons along with a completed return of service form. File these documents with the court clerk before your hearing.

Step 6 – Complete Order Form

Before your hearing date, download and complete the Order Changing Minor’s Name Form. Leave the date and judge’s signature fields blank.

Step 7 – Attend Hearing

Both you, the petitioner, and the minor must personally appear before the judge at the appointed date and time. Bring the Order Form (complete except for the date and judge’s signature) and wait until your case is called. The judge will ask you a few questions relating to the case, including your reasons for petitioning for the name change. The judge may also ask the minor to testify, sometimes choosing to do so privately in their chambers to avoid a stressful situation for the minor. At the end of the hearing, the judge will announce whether or not the name change has been approved. If it has, they will sign and date the Order. Ask the court clerk to make certified copies of the order so you can update the change on the minor’s various documents and ID cards.