Vermont Name Change Forms – How to Change Your Name in VT

Updated August 07, 2022

Use an attorney at ContractsCounsel to change your name!

A Vermont name change form allows residents to legally change their name through their county’s probate court. Those with intentions of changing their name after marriage or reverting to their maiden name after a divorce are not required to complete the Vermont name change forms. Aside from marriage and divorce, there are many personal reasons for which a person might want to change their name; it’s up to a judge to decide whether the name change is appropriate and in the public’s best interest. Vermont allows parents/legal guardians to petition for the change of name of their child, however, both parents must consent to the change and the court must find that the name change is in the best interests of the minor. Furthermore, if the minor is fourteen (14) years of age or older, they must provide written consent.

Laws§ 15 – 13

Table of Contents

Name Change After Marriage

You are permitted to take your spouse’s name after getting married. When you register for a marriage license with your local court clerk, provide the name you wish to use after marriage on the document. After the ceremony, the officiant will complete the license and, once it is returned to the clerk, it becomes a valid marriage certificate. This certificate will serve as proof of legally changing your name. You can use it to update your documentation and identification cards.

Name Change After Divorce

Changing your name after a divorce is just as simple as changing it after you got married. Have your lawyer provide a clause within the divorce decree stating that you wish to revert to your maiden name after the divorce is finalized. The decree must state your current name and your desired name post-divorce. Once the divorce decree is signed by a judge, you can use it to update your new name with various agencies and institutions.

Adult Name Change (No Marriage or Divorce)

Any adult (persons over the age of eighteen) is permitted to change their name in Vermont through their county’s probate court. Once a petition is filed, the court will contact the Department of Public Safety to establish whether or not the petitioner is on the sex offender registry. If their name does appear on the registry, the court will most likely deny the name change petition unless they find reasonable grounds to continue with the case.

Step 1 – Petition

Download the Petition of Adult to Change Name Form and provide your personal information in the appropriate fields. The form must be signed in front a notary public or court clerk.

Step 2 – Gather Documents

You are required to submit a copy of your birth certificate to the probate court along with your Petition. You must request a certified copy of your birth certificate – this can be accomplished by completing the Certified Copy of Vital Record Form and mailing to the Vital Records Office of the Vermont Department of Health (address provided below). You will be charged a $10 fee for this request.

  • Vermont Department of Health
    Vital Records Office
    P.O. Box 70
    Burlington, VT 05402

Step 3 – File Forms

Visit your local probate court and file the Petition and the certified copy of your birth certificate with the court clerk (you may be asked to show a piece of state-issued ID as well). The clerk will ask you to pay the fee, which is typically around $150. A hearing date and time will be set once you file the Petition.

Step 4 – Attend Hearing

Go back to the courthouse at the allotted time on the appointed hearing date. The judge will have read your Petition and, if they believe the name change is appropriate, they will sign a Name Change Decree. This is the official document that you can use to update your name with various State and Federal agencies.

Driver’s License

Your new name should be registered with the DMV within thirty (30) days of receiving your Name Change Decree. However, before changing your driver’s license, you must update your new name with the SSA. Submit Form SS-5 to the SSA along with proof of name change, proof of identity, and proof of U.S. citizenship. Once this process is complete, you can visit your local DMV and complete the proper application form for updating your driver’s license. Download the appropriate form before going to the DMV – Form VL-021 (Regular DL); Form VL-18 (Enhanced DL); or Form VL-031 (Commercial DL). You will also need to submit a copy of your name change document with your application form (i.e., marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court-ordered name change decree). Additional documents, such as passport, Social Security card, and proof of residency may be required for EDL applications. The fee for updating your name change on your driver’s license is $20.

Voter Registration

Updating your voter registration with your new name can be accomplished online or by mail. In order to complete the online registration process, you must have a valid Vermont driver’s license/permit or ID card. Go to the Online Voter Registration System on Vermont’s Secretary of State web portal and follow the prompts to complete the registration process online. Those of you who wish to update your name by mail can download and complete the Vermont Voter Registration Form. Once completed, submit the Registration Form to your local town clerk.

Minor (Child) Name Change

A petition for the name change of a minor (persons under the age of eighteen) must be filed by the parent or guardian in the county in which the minor resides. A minor name change petition will only be accepted if both parents have provided written consent and, in cases where the minor is fourteen (14) years of age or older, if the minor has provided written consent.

Step 1 – Petition and Consent

Download the Petition to Change Name of Minor and enter all the appropriate information. Do not sign the form until you are in the presence of a notary public. If the minor is over the age of fourteen (14), they must also sign the Petition to establish consent. Furthermore, both parents must complete Part II: Consent of the Petition. If consent from one parent has not been obtained, the case may be delayed and you, the petitioner, will have to demonstrate to the court that you exercised due diligence in attempting to locate the other parent.

Step 2 – Gather Documents

A certified copy of the minor’s birth certificate must be submitted with the court clerk when you file the Petition. To obtain a certified copy, complete the Certified Copy of a Vital Record Form and submit it to the Vermont Department of Health (address is on the top of the form).

Step 3 – File Forms

Bring a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate, the Petition, and your personal Vermont identification card to the probate court in the county where the minor resides. Pay the clerk the $150 filing fee and ask for a hearing date and time.

Step 4 – Attend Hearing

You and the minor must appear before a judge on your hearing date at the appointed time. The judge will want to know the reasoning behind the name change and will note if the parents provided consent to the name change. If the parents did not consent, the judge will want to make sure that you’ve tried your best to contact them. Most of all, the judge will want to establish whether the name change is in the best interests of the child and to ensure that it is not being made for illegal or fraudulent purposes. Once the judge deems the name change befitting, they will sign and date a Name Change Decree. The court clerk can make certified copies for you so that you can update the minor’s documentation.