eForms Logo

Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Form

Create a high-quality document now!

Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Form

Updated September 15, 2023

An Oklahoma vehicle bill of sale is a legal document that sets forth the terms of the transfer of ownership of motor vehicles in Oklahoma and provides a written demonstration of that change. It will include information about the buyer, the seller, and the vehicle itself. Unlike many other states, there is no requirement in Oklahoma that the  It’s possible that this document may be required for registration of the vehicle.

Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form 729) – Federal and State laws require that a vehicle’s mileage must be disclosed at the time of sale, with potential criminal penalties for failure to do so. This required form serves as an official mileage disclosure. Note that this may not be necessary if the vehicle being sold is at least 10 years old.

Table of Contents

Registering a Vehicle

Until recently, Oklahoma law allowed a license plate to “follow” a vehicle in a transaction. For all sales taking place after June 2019, that is no longer true. The new owner of a motor vehicle must make an application to title and register the vehicle by the transfer to, or purchase of, a license plate for the newly acquired vehicle with the Tax Commission within thirty (30) calendar days from the date of vehicle purchase or acquisition. A registration is good for one year. A registration may be renewed online using the state’s OkCars service.

Where to Register

Registration may be done at an office of the Oklahoma Tax Commission, or at any of the various Tag Agents located throughout the state.

Required Documents

  • A Bill of Sale drafted by agreement between the buyer and the seller, or a notarized Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price
  • If seeking on original Oklahoma title
  • If seeking a transfer of Oklahoma title, such as with a used vehicle purchased in state, the current title that has been transferred to you.
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement. Note that this may not be necessary if the vehicle being sold is at least 10 years old
  • A valid driver’s license
  • Lien documentation, if the vehicle is subject to a lien, such as one being purchased with financing or one that was previously purchased with financing
    • The Lien Section of the Motor Vehicle Division can enter, release and verify a lien on a vehicle
    • If a lien is not released, it will follow the vehicle, and be reflected in the buyer’s new title
    • If the lien holder is releasing the lien, two signed copies of a Release of Lien form are needed: one to be sent to the state Tax Commission, the other to be given to the debtor
    • For more information about motor vehicle liens, see Form FL-21
  • Verification of liability insurance.[1] Check verification status.
  • Excise and sales taxes[2] and applicable title and registrations fees in addition to any delinquent taxes, fees, interest and penalty associated with the plate.
  • If an agent is purchasing the vehicle on the new owner’s behalf, then a Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney is needed
  • Registration Fees and Title Fees


  1. Oklahoma Insurance Department: Auto Insurance
  2. Service Oklahoma: Motor Vehicles Fees & Exemptions