eForms Logo

Rhode Island Bill of Sale Forms (4)

Create a high-quality document now!

Rhode Island Bill of Sale Forms (4)

Updated October 03, 2023

A Rhode Island bill of sale records a transaction between a buyer and seller for the purchase of personal property. The document will identify the buyer and seller and the exchange taking place (i.e. property for cash or trade). Any additional title or registration document should be transferred at the time of sale.

It is recommended that a bill of sale is signed by both the buyer and seller.

Forms (4)

Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – Provides documentation regarding the sale of a vehicle purchased and sold legally. It may be used for registration and proof of ownership.

Download: PDFMS WordOpenDocument


Boat Bill of Sale – This document will prove the legal sale, purchase and change of ownership with regard to a vessel/boat in Rhode Island.

Download: PDFMS WordOpenDocument

General Bill of Sale – Generally used between two private parties in the sale and purchase of personal property.

Download: PDFMS WordOpenDocument

Gun Bill of Sale – Identifies the buyer and seller in a transaction for the sale of a firearm.

Download: PDFMicrosoft WordOpen Document Text


Vehicle Registration Forms

  • A completed an Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form TR-1)
  • A Bill of Sale
  • Proof of automobile insurance that meets the Rhode Island minimum requirements[1]
    • $25,000 for injuries to a single person
    • $50,000 for injuries in a single accident
    • $25,000 for property damage in a single accident
  • A valid driver’s license or state ID
  • A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check[2]
  • Documentation of the Gross Vehicle Weight
  • A completed Use Tax form (Form T-334-2)
  • If buying a vehicle from a private party in which model year is 2001 or newer, a title to the vehicle that has been signed over to you, or for non-titled vehicles, proof of previous ownership
  • If buying from a dealer, the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin
  • If leasing or an agent is buying or selling the vehicle on behalf of someone else, a Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney
  • Within five days of registering, a sticker indicating the passage of an emissions and safety inspection[3]
  • Be prepared to pay all title and registration fees at the time of registration.

Boat Registration Forms

  • A Boat Registration Application
  • An Outboard Motor Registration Application
  • A Bill of Sale (Note: If the boat is purchased from a dealer, the buyer must use the form provided by the dealer)
  • A pencil tracing of the Hull Identification Number (HIN) conforming with U.S. Coast Guard guidelines[4]
  • If the boat was purchased from a dealer, a manufacturer’s statement of origin, and an Application for Initial Vessel Certificate of Title
  • If the boat was purchased with existing title, the most recent title certificate signed over to the buyer, and if previously titled in a different state, the most recent registration statement from that state
  • Proof of payment of all registration fees per the fee schedule. There is no sales tax due on boats in Rhode Island purchased after 1993


  1. Rhode Island Department of Business Regulation: Consumers Guide to Auto Insurance
  2. RI Division of Motor Vehicles: VIN Check
  3. Rhode Island Emissions and Safety Testing 
  4. U.S. Department of Transportation: Boating Safety Circular 70