eForms Logo

Tennessee Firearm Bill of Sale

A Tennessee firearm bill of sale is considered a legal document that formalizes the legal sale and purchase of a firearm. The form provides information identifying the firearm being sold and purchased.
4.8 Stars | 242 Ratings
Downloads: 4,226

Privately Selling a Firearm

Tennessee has no laws regulating the sale of a firearm between two private parties. The only necessity is that both parties can legally own a firearm.

Prohibited from Buying

An individual is prohibited from owning and purchasing a firearm if that person:[1]

  • Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence and is still subject to the disabilities of such a conviction;[2]
  • Is, at the time of the possession, subject to an order of protection;[3] or
  • Is prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law.

Registering a Firearm

The formal government registration of privately owned firearms is prohibited in Tennessee.[4]

Concealed Carry

All Tennessee residents wishing to carry a concealed weapon in public must first obtain an Enhanced Handgun Carry Permit or a Concealed Handgun Carry Permit.

How to Apply

Applicants for either permit must be at least 21 or 18 years old and an active or honorably discharged U.S. military service member.

  1. Submit an application for a concealed carry permit online with the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security.
  2. Complete a Tennessee handgun safety course.[5]
  3. Attach the following:
    1. Proof of adequate competence with a handgun;[6]
    2. Proof of citizenship or permanent residency;
    3. Proof of identity; and
    4. Proof of whole SSN.
  4. Submit the application to the nearest Driver Services Center.
  5. Submit a photograph at the Center.
  6. Pay the application fee.
  7. Submit the applicant’s fingerprints as instructed by the Driver Services Center.
  8. Pass a name-based criminal history record check conducted by the Department of Safety.


Tennessee recognizes concealed carry permits from all U.S. states that offer them to their residents.[7]