Utah Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale | Form TC-843

Create a high quality document online now!

Updated August 23, 2022

A Utah motor vehicle bill of sale, known as Form TC-843, is an official document that provides proof a vehicle has been legally sold in the State of Utah. This document is an important step in transferring ownership, but more is required, including signing over the title and registering the vehicle. The bill of sale should include detailed information about the vehicle, including the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Signing Requirements – Only the seller must sign.

Odometer Disclosure Statement (TC-891) – Required for all motor ownership transfers.

Table of Contents

Registering a Vehicle

Any motor vehicle purchased by a Utah resident and intended for operating in Utah must be registered. If the purchase takes place at a dealership, the dealer will generally handle the associated paperwork. But for purchases between private parties, the buyer and the seller must take affirmative steps in order for the vehicle to be registered and used. Transfers of title and registration should take place within sixty dates of the vehicle changing hands. Once registered initially, registration must be renewed once a year, which may be done online, in person or by mail.

Where to Register

Initial registration and submission of appropriate documentation should be submitted at one of the UT DMV Office Locations.

Required Documents

  • An Application for Utah Title
  • The original title to the vehicle that has been signed over to the buyer
  • A Bill of Sale
  • An in-state driver’s license or identification
  • For residents living in Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, Cache or Utah counties, proof of emissions inspection
  • If the vehicle is new to Utah, a certificate of inspection
  • Proof of motor vehicle insurance meeting the state’s minimum requirements
    • $25,000 per injury or death in an accident
    • $65,000 for two or more injuries or deaths in an accident
    • $15,000 for property damage resulting from an accident
  • If the vehicle is leased, a Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney
  • Registration fees as provided in this fee schedule