South Dakota Quit Claim Deed Form

Create a high quality document online now!

The South Dakota Quit Claim Deed will serve as a tool to document the transference of Property from one party to another. This is an informal manner of transferring Property between parties with an informal relationship (i.e. family members). This form must Name the Parties Involved, the Property being transferred, the Price of this transfer and must bear the Grantor Signature. This document must be notarized and if recorded with the South Dakota County Recorder serving the Property’s County must be presented with a Certificate of Value. It should be mentioned that beyond this, individual counties will have submission guidelines and fees unique to the County.

Certificate of Real Estate Value (§ 7-9-7) – Required to be attached to the quit claim deed when submitting for recording.

Laws – § 43-25-7

Recording – A quit claim deed must be submitted to the County Recorder’s Office along with the fee associated with the filing. It is best to contact the Recorder’s Office before your arrival to find out the exact fee amount (varies by County).

Signing (§ 43-25-26) – All quit claim deeds are to be signed in front of a Notary Public or a single subscribing witness (Grantor(s) sign only).

How to Write

Step 1 – The right side of this page will contain an image of the South Dakota Quit Claim Deed form available for download. You may download this file by selecting one of the buttons below. Each button will carry the label of the file type it links to.

Step 2 – Initially, there will be two sections at the top of the page that must be filled out in order for the South Dakota County Recorder to process this filing. Begin by declaring the Full Name, Complete Address, State, and Zip Code of the individual reporting information on this form. Use the blank lines in the “Prepared By” section to report this information.

Step 3 – The latter part of the header contains a section titled “After Recording, Return To.” Provide the Full Name and Address of the Mail Recipient where filed materials should be sent. Additionally, you must also place the State and Zip Code on the appropriately designated areas on the fourth line of this section.

Step 4 – In the body, declare the County where the Property exists on the line preceding the term “County.”

Step 5 – Provide a Report on the Total Amount of Money the Grantee must deliver to the Grantor in exchange for the Property. This should be presented as words on the first available space then numerically in the parentheses.

Step 6 – Next, you will also need to identity the parties involved with this Property conveyance. We will begin with the Grantor. This is the party who will relinquish his/her Claim to the Property as a result of receiving the above payment. On the space following “…consideration of the sum of,” enter the Dollar Amount (first written out then, numerically) to be submitted to the Grantor. On the space after the wording “in hand paid to,” report the exact Name of the Property’s Grantor. Then on the subsequent space enter the actual word “Grantor.” To further Identify the Grantor, you must report the Address where he or she resides on the next immediate space. This must be a legal Address. Then, enter the Grantor’s County of Residence, City of Residence, and State of Residence on the three blank spaces that follow in that order. Each space will be labeled accordingly.

Step 7 – The next task at hand will be to Identify the Grantee. In most cases, this is the same person paying the Grantor of the Property with the intent of assuming the Grantor’s Claim on the Property as a result of that payment. You will need to find the first space located immediately after the statement ending with “…quitclaims to” and present the exact Name of the Property’s Grantee then, produce the word “Grantee” on the next space. This person must also be further identified by reporting the Grantee’s Address of Residence, County of Residence, City of Residence, and State of Residence on the next four empty spaces respectively. Each will be preceded by the term appropriate for that space (“residing at,” “County of,” “City of,” and “State of”).

Step 8 – The next blank space (after the exact term “situated in” and before “County, South Dakota, to-wit”) must have the County where the Property is physically located reported. Below this, the Address and the Legal Description of the Property must be presented. The Legal Description must be documented precisely as it is in on the books. You may obtain such language and facts from the Title. If there is not enough room, you may attach a document with this information.

Step 9 – The next page will contain two areas. The first will contain two columns so that one to two Grantors of the Property may Sign their Names then provide some information. If more Grantors must sign this document, you may add the space as necessary. The second area may only be filled out by the Notary Public who has consented to notarizing this Signing. First, find the “Grantor’s Signature” line in the initial column. The Grantor must Sign his or her Name here. The Printed Name and Address of the Grantor must be presented on the next three lines (“Grantor’s Name,” “Address,” and “City, State & Zip”).

Step 10 – The section at the end of the second page has been provided for the notarization of the South Dakota Quit Claim Deed Signing. Verify the County, Names, and Signature Date the Notary Public has documented and make sure the Notary Public Number, Commission Expiration Date and Seal have been provided.

Step 11 – Next, contact the South Dakota County Recorder in the County where the Property is located. You will need to make sure the requirements and fees of this County are fulfilled for this filing.