Kentucky Deed Forms

Updated July 12, 2022

A Kentucky deed form is the legal method for conveying real property (real estate) from one person to another. There are different forms depending on the type of situation involved. All deeds require the name of the grantor or seller and the name of the grantee or buyer. In addition, a legal description of the property is required and the consideration paid for it. Deeds must be acknowledged by a notary public or two witnesses and filed with the county clerk in the county in which the property is located.

Laws – Title XXXII, Chapter 382. Conveyances and Encumbrances

Consideration Certificate (KRS 382.135) – Per Kentucky law, all deeds must have this form attached.

Recording – All deeds must be filed with the County Clerk’s Office in the jurisdiction where the property is located.

Signing (KRS 382.130) – All deeds must be signed in the presence of either two (2) subscribing witnesses or a notary public.

Deed Types

General Warranty – A general warranty deed is a legal document to transfer property with a guarantee from the grantor that the title is clear, that he or she has the legal authority to sell and that there are no other claims to the property. If there are other claims to the property, the grantor will defend the buyer against such claims.

Quit Claim – A quitclaim deed is also a legal document transferring property, but unlike a warranty deed, there is no guarantee from the seller that he or she has clear title to the property.

Special Warranty – A special warranty is a deed that has a limited warranty – namely that the grantor warrants that he or she has not transferred any interest in the property while he or she has held the property. However, the grantor makes no guarantee about anything that may have happened before he or she acquired the property.

Kentucky Property Search

When purchasing real estate, it is important that you, as the buyer, know exactly what rights to the property you are purchasing. In order to find out, a thorough property search is recommended whereby you go back through the records of the property looking at each transfer. This is a way to find out if there are any easements or undischarged mortgages. There are different options for searching depending on which county you are in. Some counties require you to go in person to the county clerk’s office, while others have online search capability. Here is a link to the County Clerks’ Contact Information so you can call to find out what options they have.

As an Example: Below shows how to start a property search in only Boone County, Kentucky.

Step 1 – Go to This Webpage:

boon county clerk's office info page

Step 2 – Hover your cursor above “LAND & LEGAL RECORDS” and select “LAND RECORDS” from the list of available options.

boon county clerk's office records menu

Step 3 – Before you can commence a search, you will have to become a subscriber to their search engine by clicking on “sign up page.”

ECCLIX search engine info

Step 4 – Sign up for a subscription by selecting either “One Day Pass” or “Signup Today!” Navigate through the subsequent pages to create your account. You may then perform your land records search.

kentucky online land records page