Washington Lease Agreements (6) | Residential & Commercial

Create a high quality document online now!

Updated September 01, 2022

A Washington lease agreement is a document that outlines the terms of a rental between a landlord and a tenant. There are different rules tenancy rules within Seattle versus outside Seattle, therefore the correct agreement must be used depending on the property location. Once the agreement is signed by the landlord and tenant, it becomes legally binding to all parties.

Rental Application – To be used by the landlord in order to review the applying tenant’s employment, background, and financial details.

Table of Contents

Agreement Types (6)

Commercial Lease Agreement – Agreement in relation to the renting of property for a business-related use such as office, retail, or industrial property.

Download: Adobe PDFMS Word (.docx)OpenDocument



Month to Month Lease Agreement (Outside SeattleWithin Seattle) – Also referred to as a ‘tenancy at will’ for a landlord-tenant relationship that can be canceled at anytime with at least twenty (20) days’ notice (RCW 59.18.200).

Download Outside Seattle: Adobe PDF

Download Within Seattle: Adobe PDF


Rent-to-Own Lease Agreement – A generic residential contract with added terms and conditions for the purchasing of real estate and personal property.

Download: Adobe PDF



Room Rental (Roommate) Agreement – For the persons living in a shared arrangement to acknowledge common rules in the property.

Download: Adobe PDF




Standard Residential Lease Agreement (Outside SeattleWithin Seattle) – The most popular rental contract with a start and end date and rent that is due on the 1st of each month.

Download Outside Seattle: Adobe PDF, MS Word (.docx)OpenDocument

Download Within Seattle: Adobe PDF


Sublease Agreement – For the act of a tenant re-renting their space under agreement with the landlord. Otherwise known as ‘subletting’.

Download: Adobe PDFMS Word (.docx)OpenDocument



Required Disclosures (8)

Fire Protection & Evacuation (§ 59.18.060) – Upon lease commencement, the landlord must give the tenant a copy of a fire protection/safety information including an *evacuation plan. This should include if the property has a smoking policy, emergency notification plan, and the route(s) to exit the building in the case of a fire.

*Only required if the property is located in a property with two (2) or more units.

Landlord/Agent Identification (§ 59.18.060) – The landlord must give the tenant the person who is authorized to enter the property including the legal address for notices. If the information is not located in the lease agreement it must be listed conspicuously on the premises. NOTE: If the landlord does not reside in the State of Washington they must elect an agent that resides in the county for all notices.

Lead-Based Paint Disclosure – Federal law requiring all landlords of properties built prior to 1978 to disclose to their tenants as within the walls probably exists lead paint that is hazardous and was used during that timespan.

Mold Disclosure (§ 59.18.060(13)) – At the time of signing the landlord must give the tenant information about the dangers of mold as provided by the Department of Health.

Move-in Checklist (§ 59.18.260) – The landlord is required to provide a move-in checklist to the tenant if there is a security deposit that is collected. If no checklist is provided the tenant is entitled to their entire deposit no matter the circumstances.

Nonrefundable Fees (§ 59.18.285) – If there are to be any non-refundable fees assessed by the landlord it must clearly state that the fee is not refundable.

Security Deposit Receipt (§ 59.18.270) – The landlord must provide the name and address of the banking institution where the funds are to be held on behalf of the tenant. In addition, the landlord must provide the terms and conditions for how funds are to be held and dispersed.

Voter Registration Packet (SMC 7.24.080) (Seattle ONLY) – A voter registration packet must be provided to all tenants by the landlord.


According to § 59.18.150, the landlord must provide at least two (2) days’ notice to enter the property for any maintenance or repair and one (1) day if they are seeking to show the property to another potential lessee or prospective buyer.

Security Deposits

Maximum – No State cap. The landlord may request as much as desired.

Returning (§ 59.18.280) – The landlord must give back all funds related to the deposit within twenty-one (21) days of tenant move out.